This is so true! Over the past few weeks, I feel like we've done so much. Here is a quick snapshot of some of the things going on down here in sunny Grenada.
In the beginning of October, a group of SOs and myself drove to Belmont Estates to help out with their Grenada Project that I spoke of in a previous post. We spent the day putting up a fence for the goats and learning how to make goat cheese. Here are a few pictures to give you an idea of how we spent the day.
before being put to work...
baby goatsbuilding the fence
It was tough, but I think we did a pretty good job.
resting for some Soursop juice...very refreshing!

This is what a soursop looks like. They told me it was easy to make the juice.
I tried...it's NOT easy.
Off to make the goat cheese...
Michelle boiling and sanitizing the spoons
that's me writing in the official logbook

Now i'm stirring the milk...you had to be SUPER careful or the milk would spoil.

salting the cheese
straining the cheese
softening, flavoring, then packing the cheese.
There are a few more steps than this, but it gives you the idea. The whole process takes three days. After our work at Belmont, we stopped at this wonderful little bar/restaurant. The menu options: Fish or chicken. It was one of the best meals I've had here in Grenada.

Yum!
dessert was on the house-grilled plantains...delicious!
An overall super fun day!
2) While I was out building fences and learning how to make goat cheese, Dave was busy studying for midterms. He made it through midterm week and did really well. All his hard work definitely paid off! Congratulations Dave!!
3) Another really neat thing I did was participate in the Orphanage Student Association fundraiser/silent art auction. I won a piece of artwork painted by a little girl that I work with a lot at the Queen Elizabeth Home for Children. What a great memory! Here are a couple pictures of the auction. It was a total success.
the bidding begins...
4) I also spent a Saturday morning at the Mt. Airy Young Readers Group. It is a group designed to help kids with reading and literacy skills on the island. It was a fun morning. I met some amazing little kids, and I got to visit another part of the island...it was quite nice.
5) I went on an adventure to an amazing Nutmeg Print Store. It was very cool and they do beautiful work by hand printing all their fabrics with gorgeous nutmeg prints. This is her factory. The owner and designer was so friendly, and she even showed us around in her work area.
Lastly, here are a couple random shots taken along the main road outside of St. George's. They really give the feel of island life. I figured I'd share them.
Next weekend is the beach clean-up and the Breast Cancer Walk from Grand Anse to St. George's. Stay tuned...
Anyone who says they are bored on this island should check your blog. You could shame them with all these activities! Good work. Looks fun!
ReplyDelete