Friday, April 30, 2010

It's been a while...top ten

I need to catch up on everything we've seen and done in the past month and a half. Here is the top ten (in no particular order). Let's see...

1. One of the coolest things we've done while in Grenada was swim with illuminescent jelly-type algae. Sorry for the lack of scientific terminology, but that's what these creatures seemed like to me. A few weeks back, we gathered with a bunch of our friends for a bonfire on what is called "airport beach." It's a hidden beach way past the airport where one has to walk in the pitch-black, flashlight in hand, over precarious rocks only to arrive at one of the most beautiful beaches here in Grenada. It's a small pocket of beach with rocks that surround you on either end of the beach. It creates a perfect spot for a midnight bonfire. After roasting marshmallows, some of us decided to go swimming. I was being chicken at first b/c I had forgotten my bathing suit (note to self whenever going to the beach...at any time of day or night), but Dave dove right in and started yelling something about "Avatar." Being entirely intrigued, I decided to just go on in the water in my clothes. I mean, how many opportunities does one truly have to go swimming at midnight in the Caribbean...especially when it supposedly looks like "Avatar?" Lo and behold...it was amazing! There were glow-in-the-dark little clear things all over the water. It looked almost like lightning bugs but they were under the water. This was definitely one of the coolest things I've seen...ever. Everyone must try to see this before they leave.

2. I saw more goats...a lot more goats by the side of the road. Even cows and sheep (I have learned since my last post that many of the said goats are truly sheep, depending on whether their tail is up or down.) Go figure. So anyway, more goats...sheep...oh whatever...

3. Dave continued to do LOTS of studying and I have been busy working at the Grand Anse Playgroup, running the after-school program for all the school-aged children.

4. I continued to help out as part of the ECIP (Early Childhood Intervention Program) team, providing play therapy to local children with special needs.

5. I spent the day at a new beach...BBC beach. So beautiful!! I continue to be amazed that we actually LIVE here.


6. We attended Liam's 1st birthday party (congrats to Julie and CJ!) It was a fantastic fiesta filled with great food, wonderful guests, and beautiful homemade decorations. Great job Julie!

7. I tried a new restaurant...it was delicious! Stewed turtle anyone? I was aghast! I got the fish.




8. I have been very busy growing two mystery seeds at school with my kids. One has finally sprouted. (fyi---they are avocado seeds, but don't tell them. The kids are convinced we're growing pumpkins.) Go figure.

9. I saw a real man o war jellyfish...a few of them actually.

10. I watched a few local kids fly kites higher than I've ever seen kites fly before. Flying kites is a tradition for the children of Grenada over the Easter holiday. It was really fun to watch!

So, another great month filled with new experiences!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, Liam's birthday made the top 10! Wait till our tuna lunch, that should be blog worthy.

    ReplyDelete