Friday, August 27, 2010

Sea Moss?

Well, while we are here for a few more months, I have decided to soak it all in while we still can. Last Saturday, a large group of students (and me of course) caravanned out to a hidden beach I have spoken of before, Galby Bay. You have the choice to either drive down a terribly treacherous road with huge bumps and holes or park near the top of the road and walk down. A few cars braved it down, carrying bbq grills, surfboards, kayaks, etc. We chose to park and walk down...a much better choice...even while toting large tubs of cold beer. It was a great, relaxing day..."just limin'.

For those of you unsure of what " limin' " is...according to the Trini Dictionary
Lime* = limin' Hanging out, loafing.

Here are a few pictures from the day...






Also, on a side note, I noticed (for the first time yesterday) a tasting booth set up at IGA. I realize this is probably set up for curious people like me who have not sampled all of the local products yet, but remain curious and hopeful to before we leave. Nonetheless, I was feeling lazy and was not feeling adventurous so I walked right on past. I then stopped, thought for a second and turned right around. I had to try something...it was my duty as a semi-permament visitor in a foreign land. Ok...sea moss drink...sure I'll try it. It was a white, creamy drink sort of resembling a banana smoothie. More specifically, according to the Grenada Market,

"Seamoss or Irish Moss (Mousse d'Irlande) is a marine plant which grows abundantly along the shorelines of the Southern Caribbean Islands. It is fan shaped with shapely finger like prongs and is translucent when first harvested.

Seamoss is processed into a nutritious, invigorating drink, which restores energy and vitality. Grenada folklore abounds with reference to the powers of Seamoss; How it acts as a romantic stimulant; How it drastically reduces the effect of alcohol; How a night watch on a sail boat became less tiring after drinking Seamoss."

It was weird...ok I'll say it...but not bad. I sure didn't feel romantic after drinking it, but I'd probably try it again sometime. So...hmmm, what's next?

No comments:

Post a Comment