Sunday, August 23, 2009

Mangos!!

Last week, we discovered that we had a mango tree growing right in our front yard! Imagine that. Upon verification from our landlord that this was, in fact, a mango tree, I hunted for my largest bowl so that Dave and I could go mango picking. What fun! It turned out that most of the ripe mangos were too high up to reach, so we gathered some that looked as they had just fallen. The ground was a bit treacherous, so I chose to simply photograph the experience while Dave did all the hard work.

Yikes! The treacherous ground
Dave in action...finding the best mangos
I love that he did this in his bathing suit.
It turns out that there is a much better way to gather these mangos by using a long pole with a net on the end to catch and pull the mangos off the tree. My landlord talked me through this the next morning while I was out near our pool. I managed to catch and pick 3 huge mangos off the tree, and I didn't even fall in the pool...although I did have a very close call! Unfortunately, Dave missed the whole lesson and he just had to take my word for it.

Anyway, we've been eating mangos with our breakfast every morning and as dessert every night. In fact, Dave even had the best idea to freeze it into a homemade sorbet. Mmmm! I DO have the smartest and most clever fiance in the world...I knew it!

No comments:

Post a Comment