Monday, November 23, 2009

November already?

It's November already...wait it's the end of November already. I'm always posting about how fast time flies down here, but it continues to amaze me. My friends and I are constantly saying to each other, "Doesn't it feel like we just got here?"

As I type this, it's pouring down rain. I love the sound of the rain here. I think the rain is so wonderful here because it's so hot. It's totally welcomed when it does decide to rain. As I have mentioned before, when it rains in Grenada...it pours! Dave and I love it.

So, where to begin? Rather than bore you with story after story of what we've been doing the past month, I will just give you the highlights.

1. Halloween in Grenada is always interesting. First of all because Grenadians don't celebrate Halloween and second of all because costumes area always the most creative I've seen (due to the lack of supplies and pre-made costumes). It forces everyone to really think of something different. Some of you know this, but Dave and I are not huge Halloween fans. We usually find ourselves searching for last minute costumes at some horrible Halloween Warehouse and then finally deciding to give it up, stay home, pop some popcorn, and watch a scary movie instead. Nonetheless, I'm not a total Halloween scrooge. I do always love celebrating Halloween with kids. This year, the family coordinators for the SO Board put on a fabulous Fall Festival for the SO and faculty and staff kids. I helped out and was in charge of...hold onto your seats...face painting! Yes, the SO with absolutely no artistic talent was asked to paint faces at the festival. I, of course, responded, "Sure, how hard can it be, right?" Let's just say I didn't have an onslaught of customers, but I had a little rush of princesses requesting butterflies and hearts on their cheeks. I'd say I didn't do half bad. Overall, the day turned out really great. Here are a few pictures.

Michelle helping Buzz LightYear play darts
Some of my best customers

2. Also this month, we heard there were waves one afternoon...correction...righteous waves! So, we packed up and headed to a new surf spot called Galby Bay with our friends Jenn and Art who live up the hill. We had to do a bit of off-roading, but that's what Jeeps are for, right? It was a beautiful spot, and Dave and I both really enjoyed it. Here are a few pics from the afternoon.

Dave getting ready to catch some waves
(great study break, huh?)

3. So, another one of my friends here, Adrea, is having a baby boy in December. A few of us threw her a baby shower, Grenadian style. Well, I guess there wasn't much of anything that was different from a baby shower we would have thrown at home, but it always feel a little bit different. I think she had a great time...we all did.

Now, that's a party

4. I spent a Friday morning helping to run an empowerment workshop for a wonderful group of young women from the Program for Adolescent Mothers (PAM).

Talking about what empowerment means to us
The whole group...they drove all the way from Gouyave

5. My amazing friends threw me a very Brigit-esque Bachelorette Party at Port Louis. It was an afternoon at the pool with great cocktails, a beautiful view, and fantastic friends.

Don't you love my crown...thanks Julie!!
My Italian cream cake in honor of soon becoming a Capaldi!

6. This past Sunday, we all spent the day at the beach at The Aquarium Restaurant for my good friend Jenn's last day here in Grenada. It is wonderful to be able to meet so many amazing women while living here, but it's always sad when your friends have to leave. It's comforting to know that we are all on similar journeys, so I believe many of our paths will cross again. This was the beach where we spent the day. We saw an incredible rainbow towards the late afternoon. Take a peek.


7. And finally...Dave made it through his first of the last three finals for the term. He had his immunology final this morning. He feels really good about it...and now there are only 2 to go. We celebrated with a delicious dinner at a local restaurant called Rhodes. Here's a short video of our steeldrum dinner music. Listen closely...it's a christmas song. There is a lot of Christmas music being played here already. It's quite cheerful and festive really. Here's a little taste of the Caribbean for you to enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Nice post. Now I'm inspired to do my own recap of Nov. We've been so busy with parties, who has time to blog?? And I LOVE the crown!

    ReplyDelete