Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Alfalfa Sprouts!

Did you know that the other day at IGA, a local Grenadian asked me what he was supposed to do with Alfalfa Sprouts? Me! Normally I'm the one standing over the produce shelves looking confused and asking questions that seem to have obvious answers to everyone else. When he asked me, I paused, smiled, and quickly went on to explain how one might use these legumes. It got me thinking...I truly believe that food is an essential component of learning about a new culture. That being said...I am continuing my quest to learn how to cook local, Grenadian food!

We have been back in Grenada for almost two weeks now. With Dave's busy study schedule, we eat in almost every night...which leaves me cooking almost every night. As many of you know, I love to cook so this isn't a problem, but I try to be adventurous because I get bored eating the same ol' thing every night. Plus, there are so many exciting local ingredients that I still have to try. What do I do with Dasheen again? You mean I just boil the green figs?

I work at the University playgroup with many local Grenadian women who, I believe, are wonderful cooks. I think this because they talk about food a lot. Recently, I asked one of them if she could bring me a few of her favorite local recipes to try. She was excited to bring me some...so excited in fact that she brought me her favorite cookbook. The book was Caribbean Cookbook by Rita G. Springer. I took it home and was instantly hooked. It is full of Caribbean recipes ranging from ham-pineapple rolls to cow heel or oxtail soup to Guava or Otaheite apple pie (this recipe even had a handwritten note next to it that said, "for my birthday"). I'll bet it was fantastic! The book is full of delicious recipes, and it's pretty fascinating just to flip through. Getting my hands on this book also made me interested in the woman who actually collected all of these recipes. I googled Ms. Rita G Springer and read all about her. It turns out that she was the first person to ever write a caribbean cookbook, and her recipes have influenced Caribbean dining for well over 30 years. I definitely got my hands on the right book!

Here are some of the Traditional Dishes of the Caribbean listed in her book with their location of influence.

British Honduras: Codfish Holiday, Pumpkin Pudding, Johnny or Journey Cakes
Jamaica: Ackee and Salt Fish, Green Corn Dumplings, Pepper Pot Soup, Totoes
Leeward Islands: Fungi (no mushrooms- it's basically cornmeal, butter, water, and okra), Boija, Duckanoo or Duckna, Garnished Saltfish
Windward Islands: Lambie Souse, Stuffed Jackfish, Breadfruit with coconut milk or oiled down, Fried frog's legs ( I had to give some more information on this one).
"The frogs are larger than the garden frogs and are caught in the mountains. They are known as 'mountain chickens'. The legs are skinned, marinated in vinegar and salt, then seasoned with white pepper and fried in a batter coated with egg and crumbs and fried. They are like chicken in taste." (Probably not ever trying this one.)
Barbados: Cou-Cou, Jug-Jug, Conkies, Falernum
Trinidad: Callaoo (made with salted meat or pig's tail), Cascadura stew, Pastelles
Guyana: Garlic Pork, Cook-up Rice, Metagee

I'm certainly not to the point of buying pig's tails yet (and probably never will be). However, some of the recipes don't require as much of a stretch out of my comfort zone but still have a local flair. For example, rich fruit cake is very popular down here...especially during the Christmas season. It's more often known as "black cake." Directions read, "Mix fruit and soak in 1 cup rum with spices, essences, and nuts and 100g of sugar and allow to steep for 3 weeks or longer." Well, that doesn't sound too hard. However, this cake must be done right because I have heard that most locals take this cake very seriously. A few of the recipes that struck my interest were for some of the breads, the spinach cakes, and baked rice pudding...yum!! I plan to give these few a try. I'll let you know how they turn out.

The quest continues!!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, I want it!! Last week I tried several new things. Got fresh pigeon peas in the market and made peas and rice just as the market lady suggested. Made fresh guava juice. Ate yams and dasheen for the first time. I really want to try the black cake. Frog legs...I'm with you, maybe not. :)

    ReplyDelete