Thursday, January 29, 2009

Nutmeg!

Ok...so I know I mentioned nutmeg in my last post, but I want to make sure that you all fully understand the importance of nutmeg to this island. They are the #2 producer of nutmeg in the world, only second to Indonesia. Grenada has a lot of spices, yes, but they are completely obsessed with nutmeg. It's even on their flag! Not only have I gotten to visit a nutmeg factory, but in the 5 months that we have spent down here, we have seen:
1. nutmeg itself (fresh ground or whole to be grated)
2. nutmeg syrup
3. nutmeg soap
4. nutmeg jelly
5. nutmeg jam
6. nutmeg candles
7. nutmeg oils
8. nutmeg garnishes (on soups, sauces, drinks, etc.)
9. nut-MED arthritic ointment made from nutmeg
and my personal favorite
10. nutmeg ice cream (yum!)


Did you ever even think that nutmeg could be so important? I sure didn't. As Dave put it, "We have had intense nutmeg exposure!" 

I'll just leave it at that. If anyone needs me to bring any nutmeg home, it shouldn't be a problem. Just let me know (he he!)



No comments:

Post a Comment