I walked up the hill along the highway to what looked like a typical Grenadian bar, resembling a small, one-room shack. I hesitated for a moment, then walked up, and peered in. I ask if there was any way to get down the hill to see the surfers. It appeared that they had a hard time understanding my question, but after only a moment, a very nice local woman walked ahead of me and signaled me to follow. I followed closely and was led to yet another shack (this one was even smaller and appeared to be a home for a family). I again peered in and asked if there was a way to get down the hill to watch the surfers. A young man, probably around 18 or so years old seemed to understand, and he led me down a steep dirt hill to a hideaway with a perfect view of the surfing session.
This is what I saw looking out through the trees, but to help you picture it completely...this is what I saw looking to my left.
I said, "Thank you" to him and he smiled and replied, "He'll keep you company." I looked over and saw a young boy standing barefoot, smiling ear to ear, wearing dirty jeans and no shirt, with braids in his hair. He immediately sat down right next to me to talk.
It took a few minutes, but I was able to learn that his name was "Deon" and that he was five-years old. He spoke English, but with his Caribbean accent, it was very difficult to understand him. Deon sat with me for about an hour and watched the surfers. He loved seeing them ride the waves, and he would stand up and imitate them as they weaved through the water.
His energy and excitement for life (while living in a one-room shack) was inspiring. We talked all about school and what he was learning (he told me praying and singing). We sang the ABC's, counted the surfers, sang songs together (some version of "Old McDonald"), and talked about our favorite foods (his being macaroni and cheese).
Dave caught some amazing waves that day, and I had a lot of fun with Deon. I can't help but think about whether he'll remember that experience...I definitely will. Just another interesting day here in Grenada. What an adventure!
Nice post! Ya Mon. Nice pics of waves and even better off the lip! Deon is going to be a grommet turned Slater after watching Dave. Be careful Deon doesn't get his posse into surfing. Next thing you know, you will no longer have that break all to yourself! Keep in touch. Uncle Paul
ReplyDeleteHey guys-great blog! I love to wake up in the morning with my coffee-no nutmeg & read about your adventures! Brigit, please be careful when playing photographer! Can't wait to see you guys! Go Phillies! Love you, Aunt Erin xoxo
ReplyDelete