Sunday, March 8, 2009

Hashing!!

Hashing...for those of you who don't know what hashing is, here is the official definition:

Every other Saturday at precisely 1600 hours, a motley group of assorted runners and walkers assemble at a previously designated rum shop, somewhere in Grenada. After an initial briefing by their leader (known as the hash master) they set off in the bush shouting ON ON. They follow a trail of flour or shredded paper which takes the pack through some of the most attractive parts of the island and they return to the rum shop a couple of hours later to consume large quantities of beer and undo all the good things that this running and walking has done to them. Hashing started in 1938 in Kuala Lumpar in what was then Malaysa. Today, there are Hash kennels in some 110 countries and territories around the world (including the US). Check out the website to read more. 
(http://www.grenadahash.com)

Basically, it's a long, challenging hike that, to me, is somewhat empowering, tons of fun, and a wonderful way to see the country. The site of the run/walk changes every hash, presenting a new view of the island as well as new hiking challenges. Much of yesterday's hash took place down a very steep, muddy hill where we had to hang onto a rope to get (slide) down as well as a river that we had to trudge through. When you complete the hash, you are usually wet and covered in mud. I loved it! Yesterday was my first hash, and I'm definitely going again. Here are a few pictures to give you a better idea...

The beginning of the hash...ON ON (that's what they say)

here i go...

through the river

through the bush...

a stop for a quick snapshot of the waterfall...

My friend Marguerite and I (and her dog Malley) at the end of the hash!! yay!

back to Benji's Bar

Marguerite and I decided to opt out of the drinking portion of the event and to just get home to warm showers and our spouses. I hope Dave can experience this with me next time. What a fun adventure. I highly recommend hashing if you ever get the opportunity! ON ON...

No comments:

Post a Comment